The certified Benevity-Workday integration streamlines data transfer for user profiles and payroll giving between Spark and Workday HCM. The integration allows Benevity to automatically:
- Set up and maintain user profiles in Spark (Worker Data)
- Send payroll giving deductions to Workday’s Payroll, or Workday’s Third-Party Payroll (deduction data)
- Receive confirmed donations from Workday’s Payroll following each pay date (success data)
Clients may implement any or all of the above functionalities. Every implementation requires several initial setup steps and understanding of key considerations to ensure a smooth and successful completion of the integration.
Initial Setup Readiness
Prior to beginning the Workday Integration setup steps, the following items should be reviewed to ensure a smooth implementation:
- Workday has been fully implemented and is in use today.
- A Workday admin is ready to be assigned to and has the resources for this project during the implementation time period.
- The Workday admin has read through both the client guide and data supplement and understands how the integration works (e.g. uses the Get_Workers API).
- One test tenant is set up and ready to use during the implementation period (frequent refreshes not recommended).
- Test tenant is set up to either allow testing for payroll using past pay periods or allow the ability to create and close periods ad hoc.
Who to Involve
To set up the Workday Integration you will need to involve a few teams and people on your end to complete activities during different phases of the Implementation. A summary is below, along with the typical effort required, and which Implementation Phases they can expect to be involved in. To learn more about the project phases, check out the Implementation Overview.
Tips and Tricks
The information below provides a summary of what the Program Owner and Project Manager can do to help your Technical Representatives get started.
Initial Setup Objectives
The initial setup steps enable the ability to test and move the integration into production. Specific tasks include:
- Creating an Integration System User (ISU) for Benevity in your test tenant
- Creating an integration system security group in your test tenant, in line with Benevity’s requirements
- Identifying the Workday URL for the API for the non-production environment
- Setting up unique Benevity deduction codes (if payroll is being enabled)
Creating an account on Benevity’s Managed File Transfer to securely pass test data to confirm eligibility requirements are being processed as desired. The MFT Access Request form will need to be completed.
We find that our clients have the best post-launch experience when they consider Benevity’s best practices and recommendations. Here are some related to the Workday Integration:
- An inclusive program will have the same eligibility for all employees, regardless of their level or tenure. Complex programs will likely add to the duration and effort of the implementation and may negatively impact participation post-launch.
- Please ensure that any data you are sending is within the scope of your organization’s security and legal practices; every country and organization has different perspectives on PII (personally identifiable information) and what is acceptable to send to external vendors.
- It is recommended that the individual (Workday Admin) at the company that is assigned to this project has an advanced understanding of how Workday has been set up for your company and are able to apply custom rules such as override services and troubleshoot setup tasks if needed.
Now that you understand what the Benevity Workday Integration is and how we will use it to implement and manage your Spark site, ask a Benevity team member for the Benevity Workday Client guide and data supplement to share with the Technical Representatives listed above to get started.
These helpful Implementation Guides help you get a better understanding of each component and the related work for each phase. These guides are great resources for you to review while you’re getting your teams prepared for the upcoming Implementation.